Ad Code

Books I brought from my home in Argentina🇦🇷

 




Hi everyone! Welcome back!

I haven’t posted for a long time here, trying to find a more accurate voice for this blog. You can see that I had been mostly sharing illustrations and artists whose work I find super inspiring and original. After a lot of overthinking I believe is the best to just share the things I am interested about and are connected to design, which are the ones that makes the happiest.

As some of you may know I am Melina, a graphic designer from Argentina. I moved to Barcelona on 2020 (yes, just before COVID 19 pandemic started), I lived there for 3 years and a half and now I am currently living on Modena, Italia. A whole new adventure, scary and exciting at the same time.



On June I was lucky to be able to visit my family in Buenos Aires. This time I could bring some books I had from my childhood and others that I wanted to buy to my new home, Italy. I wanted to buy more but needed way more luggage weight!







-The Simpsons books by Matt Groening: when I was younger (ten years old) I was obsessed with these books! I already liked watching The Simpsons on TV, loved the simple lined created characters and the sarcasm of the dialogues. From the distance The Simpsons seemed like another children cartoon but when you watch it you will discover it talks a lot about adulthood issues, things that are not ok in society but they are seen “ok”, criticism to politicians. 

And I remembered when I found these books on a library I begged my father to buy them for me. Today being more into illustration I find super useful a lot of resources you can find in these books: the use of color to highlight certain situations, the framing, the creation of flat characters that don’t have a million details but still look super interesting.




-Curvas Peligrosas by Maitena: queen needs no introduction, but for those who don’t know her Maitena is an Argentinian illustrator, known for creating characters that identify with women everyday struggles. I discovered her comics when I was really young and I loved that she made me realise how much situations were unfair for women: motherhood, society expectations, feeling guilty for everything. And the way she draws also is amazing, it is like what I was saying before simple but interesting at the same time. I wish one day I can draw like her. You can buy it here




-Cómo me enamoré de Nicolas Cage by Carla Quevedo: I had been naming books more visuals, this one is a novel written by Carla Quevedo, and Argentinian actress (El secreto de sus ojos, El Maestro, Monzón, Show me a Hero) and writer, this is her first novel. She takes us to New York and the moment she realise love is not like Disney movies. I found really captivating the way she describes how she feels with a lot of rhetoric. I finished the book before returning to Europe, it is a page-turner. You can buy it here



-Come consciente by Manu Lorenzo: Manu is an Argentinian nutritionist. This book was a wonderful birthday gift. I love that the idea of her recipes is simplicity and healthy, so you can eat something you really like, easy to prepare and with the backup from a real nutritionist. I have cooked some of these recipes and can’t wait to cook the whole book. You can get it here





-Cocinario by Vin Arrieta: Via Arrieta is the creator of Monoblock, called by itself “factory of the imagination”. You can find here from books, to home decoration. All filled with color and creativity. 
This book is also about having a healthier relationship with food. You can find recipes and a space to put also your own. I loved the illustrations!! I would love one day to illustrate a kitchen book!! You can get it here




So this is what I could take this time! I wanted to buy more books, but my luggage was full. If you have any suggestions of Argentinian writers or illustrators, or any artist from anywhere please be my guest!

Thank you for reading me hope this is useful for your illustration journey or just for your creativity soul:)

You can also find me here:

My Instagram where I am daily.

My Shop you can purchase prints and merch with my designs.

My Twitter here I let you know if I have a new illustration.

My Pinterest filled with ideas to get inspiration and my work

My Etsy Shop free shipping on stickers, mugs and more :)






Post a Comment

0 Comments